6. Accessibility is one of the major benefits of a walk-in shower. In fact, one of the main reasons walk-in showers began rising in popularity is because they’re so much more accessible than bathtubs. Because they don’t have the hindrance of a ledge or curb, they’re easy to get in and out of, which makes them a great option for people with mobility issues and those in wheelchairs. They allow for ease and independence when it comes to taking a shower. They’re the perfect solution for those who are aging in place because people often develop mobility issues as they age. Installing a walk-in shower is a forward-thinking decision that will prevent you from having to complete another bathroom renovation down the line. In that way, it can be a smart investment in your own future.
7. Walk-in showers are customizable. Walk-in showers are unencumbered because they’re not attached to a bathtub. This gives homeowners plenty of leeway when it comes to design and features. How will you customize yours? You can choose essentially any wall shape, whether you prefer curved lines or sharply angled geometrical shapes, as long as you have adequate room to navigate the area around the shower. You can determine the level of privacy you require, and enclose your shower accordingly. Walk-in showers can be completely open, can have glass enclosures, can feature a mix of solid walls and glass, or can be made in any other configuration you prefer. Even the glass can be customized, depending on whether you prefer clear, frosted, or textured glass, or even glass blocks. Niches, benches, and fixtures allow for further variation in design and function.
8. They fit any décor style. When you picture a walk-in shower, you’re probably picturing a modern bathroom, with sleek lines and a streamlined, minimalistic ambience. If that describes your aesthetic, you can emphasize your shower’s modern style with geometric design choices like a square showerhead, while keeping your background tile neutral to emphasize the openness of your shower. However, walk-in showers work just as well for other design styles.
- In a traditional bathroom, a walk-in shower with subway tile and vintage fixtures, perhaps accompanied by a clawfoot tub, is perfect.
- For an industrial look, go for a clear glass enclosure, door, or dividing panel, perhaps framed in aluminum piping. Leave a bit of roughness to your design, using metal, concrete, and wood to support the look, and consider allowing some of the plumbing to show.
- In a rustic, farmhouse bathroom, organic materials like natural stone, brick, and wood tile create a warm, inviting feel. Complement these elements with vintage-inspired lighting and brass fixtures in the shower.
- A walk-in shower can be elegant, with a grand, arched entrance and luxurious materials like marble. Warm metallics are a good choice for fixtures, and opulent accessories make it feel even more luxe.
9. With a walk-in shower, you can have the spa bath of your dreams. Make your shower space bright and airy, perhaps incorporating natural materials to bring the outdoors inside, whether that’s natural stone, a rock wall, or wood. Incorporate multiple showerheads, like a rainfall showerhead mounted on the ceiling, more showerheads along the wall, and a handheld model for convenience and to make you feel pampered. You can even create a steam shower, if you choose to fully enclose your walk-in shower. A built-in shower seat and elegant fixtures add to the relaxing ambience, and a heated shower floor can make it feel even more indulgent. This kind of shower also benefits from plenty of natural light and calm, soothing colors.
10. A walk-in shower can increase a home’s value. This comes with a caveat: if you’re considering moving away entirely from having a bathtub, this can detract from your home’s resale value. Families with children, in particular, prefer to have at least one bathtub in the house. Additionally, there are many people who enjoy the relaxing practice of a soak in the tub. However, a walk-in shower, especially in the primary bath suite, can be very appealing for people who prioritize accessibility or are looking towards purchasing a home for the purpose of aging in place. Additionally, placing a walk-in shower in a small bathroom can increase the value of the home by improving the look of the bathroom and providing the illusion of additional space.
Visit our Showroom
What do you think? Knowing these benefits, do you think you’ll choose a walk-in shower when you’re remodeling your bath? For bathroom renovation, including shower installation, Dorchester residents can trust the bathroom installation professionals at Bathroom Inspirations. Founded in 2004, Bathroom Inspirations is a Dorchester-based company owned and managed by Bridport-born brothers Patrick and Paul Ackerman. Today, the business has one of Dorset’s largest showrooms, presenting stunning, innovative bathroom designs in real life settings, including walk-in showers Dorset clients love. We’ll even help you design your bathroom, with free design services that use state-of-the-art 3D design technology, for visualizing the finished bathroom before committing to the work. To learn more, feel free to explore some of our work or schedule an appointment to visit our showroom in Dorchester.